We have organized the Merchant Category Codes (MCC) established by Visa® and MasterCard® into larger groupings based upon merchant or service type. Below is the list of categories with examples of merchant types for each (this is not an exhaustive merchant listing).
- Associations/Organizations: Religious and political groups, government and court payments
- Automotive Dealers: Car dealerships, recreational vehicles and farm equipment
- Educational Services: Colleges as well as business, trade and grammar schools
- Entertainment: Movies, golf, amusement parks, bowling and membership clubs
- Fuel pumps: “Pay at the pump” at gas stations
- Gas stations & convenience stores: Gas station stores and other convenience stores
- Grocery Stores: Food, bakeries, candy
- Hardware stores: Hardware, building supplies, constructions materials, paint stores, industrial equipment
- Healthcare/Childcare Services: Doctors, dentists, hospitals, medical services, elder and child care
- Professional Service: Contractors, utilities, cleaning service, printing, couriers, exterminators, repair shops and legal services
- Restaurants: Fast food and sit-down restaurants
- Retail Stores: Books, clothing, department stores and office supplies
- Travel/Transportation: Hotels, rental car agencies, tolls, buses, railroads, taxis and airlines
You can view the Visa Merchant Category Codes in the category by clicking on the category name.
You might find this article useful, if you would like to know how to set spend rules on a card. "How to Set Spend Rules on a Card"